Grabowy, Chris on 28 Sep 2012 04:49:00 -0700

Re: [PLUG] EXTERNAL: Re: MythTV + HDHR3-CC + Comcast?

A very interesting thread.  One of these decades I will get around to setting this up.

> Depending on the rep at comcast, you might even get the card gratis.
> Make sure you tell them you aren't using a TiVo!

So before I had switched to FIOS, I was using Comcast and at one point both of my cablecards for my two Tivos became free.  Actually, I was getting a small credit for each one...like 3-4 dollars per CC.  There was some FCC ruling that if you sign up for a TV package that includes a cable box and you refuse to use that cable box because you are going to use your own (Tivo) then you get that credit.

Apparently FIOS doesn't play that way.  You get your package of channels and then you pay for every box you rent, including CCs.  Oh well.

Not sure if Comcast still offers packages with boxes included, but that was pretty sweet seeing that credit every month.  Regardless, FIOS rolled into my neighborhood, and the promotional deals were too good to pass up so I switched.

My humble question...I thought cablecards only work with Windows Media Center??  So was MythBuntu updated with something that can interface with cablecards??  When that Ceton card first came out it was huge but seemed way over priced and being forced to use Windows/Windows Media Center it just seemed to be too expensive.  Oh well.