Rich Freeman on 29 Sep 2012 18:14:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Magnet links in linux?

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Adam Zion <azion1995@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know the secret incantation or correct ports to open to
> download Magnet links in linux?

You're sure it is opening the link in your torrent client?  If it is
definitely attempting to download and just isn't succeeding, then the
issue is likely network-oriented, or the configuration of your torrent
client.  If the link doesn't open properly in the first place it could
be a bunch of other things from the browser on down.

Some clients don't support magnet.  For those which do, the client
must be connected to the DHT network to resolve them.  That requires
bidirectional UDP connectivity.  Also, to connect to the DHT network
your client needs to know about at least one peer.  That might require
connecting to a tracker somewhere to find out about other peers, so
downloading a normal torrent file might help (one which contains
trackers - as far as I can tell the script Conor posted won't populate
any trackers in the torrent file).

There are also web-based services that will convert magnet links to
torrent files.  These actually connect to DHT and generate a real
torrent file.  Those torrent files usually only contain udp tracker
references - so if your torrent client can't connect via udp you might
need to edit them.

When I use bittorrent I do so over a network that firewalls udp, so
suffice it to say I find magnet links rather annoying.

Rich