Sam Gleske on 15 Oct 2012 07:08:18 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Looking for Open Source Cloud File Storage Program

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
Google docs will certainly work, but I wanted to keep these files on my own
server.   I don't trust the "cloud" to respect my privacy or integrity.

Any open source ideas?

You simply need to string together a bunch of local services to get the desired effect.  I run RAID and export the file shares using Samba so that it is compatible with SMB (Windows File Share).  This is a LAN only solution though.  You haven't mentioned the access requirements.  Will there be a need to access these shares over the internet?

For storage I recommend either using RAID (a little more static), greyhole (very scalable), or GlusterFS (very scalable) and then exporting the shares using Samba.  Then I would likely use OpenVPN to set up VPN access for the shares over the internet.  OpenVPN can be scripted on the clients so that it is as easy as 1 click mounting.  You could even go so far as creating your own installer for integrating your clients and allow for easy set-up.  For the installer I recommend using NSIS (http://nsis.sf.net/).

Remember, the easier it is for your clients the harder it is for you as the admin to initially set up.  Maintenance and uptime can easily be maintained with proper monitoring like using Icinga.  I have it set up to alert me of a bad RAID status and down services.

That's just one way of doing it.

SAM