John BORIS on 7 Nov 2012 09:23:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Open Wireless

Open Wireless is a great thing but as Isaac states do you want to take the chance and having to make the perp walk and then have to clear your name. I don't think Legislation will suffice. We have Good Samaritan legislation in place today but in our litigious society the legislation will not stop a law suit.
Besides some iron clad protection for the residential person providing open wireless I think there would have to be some other incentive for the Residential person to take the hit. You plunk down the $$$ and time to provide this and your neighbors just ride the wave. On Openwirelss.org they say "Most wireless networks use only a small fraction of their capacity". But all you need is a few folks streaming their Vidoes, Music or downloading a ton of stuff and you suffer.

I like the idea but in today's world I think it will be a long time coming.

John J. Boris, Sr.

"Remember! That light at the end of the tunnel
Just might be the headlight of an oncoming train!"

On Nov 7, 2012, at 11:28 AM, Brian Stempin <brian.stempin@gmail.com> wrote:

> I remember posting about a similar question a few years back.  I think it'd be cool to have open wireless internet everywhere, but I don't want the police to come knocking at my door when someone abuses my connection.  I don't want to have my equipment taken for evidence because of someone else's stupidity.

Pretty much this. I think it's a great idea and love when businesses offer free wifi, but I probably won't at home.

For years I have desired to run an open access point, but I really don't want the legal hassle if they come after me for something traced back to my network. There's the argument that having an open access point would actually reduce your headache, being open and public and all, but that's not really a chance I want to take. When the EFF is involved and "We don't think so" is the best answer to the FAQ "Will opening my network make me liable for others' illegal actions," I'm probably not going to take the chance. Even if eventually all my gear is returned and my name cleared, no doubt the initial investigation would be ugly (I'm thinking arrest, equipment seizures, probably losing job because of the arrest, etc).

What I would suggest is legislation specifically protecting hosts in cases such as this. To rephrase the FAQ answer, the existing laws probably would eventually be found to protect the host anyway * I'd just rather not be the legal test bed.

Great movement for EFF to get involved with, just not for me right now.

Regards