JP Vossen on 21 Dec 2012 00:22:23 -0800

[PLUG] VMware Workstation 8/9, Player 4/5 & Ubuntu 12.04 (& 12.10)

I was doing some research the other week which may be of some interest here.

First, I mostly use Ubuntu LTS releases, and it wasn't clear which VMware products worked on that. The following Just Work (zero tweaking of any kind) on an old Dell Inspiron 1525 w/ 4G RAM running Ubuntu 12.04 (x86_64) that I use as a test/host machine:

* VMware-Player-4.0.5-893925.x86_64.bundle    < Newly supports Ubuntu 12.04
	* https://www.vmware.com/support/player40/doc/releasenotes_player405.html

* VMware-Player-5.0.1-894247.x86_64.bundle
	* http://www.vmware.com/support/player50/doc/player-501-release-notes.html
		* Support for Ubuntu 12.10 as a host and guest

* VMware-Workstation-Full-8.0.5-893925.x86_64.bundle < Newly supports Ubuntu 12.04
	* http://www.vmware.com/support/ws80/doc/releasenotes_workstation_805.html

* VMware-Workstation-Full-9.0.1-894247.x86_64.bundle
	* Read both:
	* http://www.vmware.com/support/ws90/doc/workstation-901-release-notes.html
		* Support for Ubuntu 12.10 as a host and guest
	* http://www.vmware.com/support/ws90/doc/workstation-90-release-notes.html

Note that with VMware-Player-5 they made the previously existing "free for *non-commercial* use only" status a lot more obvious (arguably intrusive, e.g. in the title bar). OTOH, they do now offer commercial licenses for it, sort-of, via http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop_virtualization/fusion/professional.html.

Second, for me, VMware Workstation 9 is not worth upgrading to. But there are some features that some of you probably do care about more than I do.

As far as I can see, the interface looks just like 8.x. Otherwise, the features are:

* Windows 8 = don't care
* Graphics Improvements = mostly don't care
	* "...an improved Windows XP graphics driver..." = mostly don't care
* OpenGL for Linux Guests = nice-to-have
* Restricted Virtual Machines = don't care
* WSX = don't care
* WSX is a prototype of a new VMware Workstation web interface that enables users to access their Shared virtual machines via a web browser on a tablet, smart phone or PC without installing any additional applications or browser plug-ins
* Downloading Virtual Machines from vSphere = don't care
* USB 3.0 = nice-to-have
* Nested Virtualization = mostly don't care
	* Can test ESXi inside WS...
* Hyper-V = don't care
* Virtual Performance Counters = don't care
* VMware virtual processors now include the capability to enable virtual performance counters which will allow developers to run profiling applications, such as Intel's vTune, in a virtual machine.
* Remoting Improvements = nice-to-have
* The experience when remotely connecting to a virtual machine running in Workstation 9 with a VNC client or interacting with the desktop of a virtual machine running on vSphere from within Workstation has been significantly improved. * Disk Cleanup = "not currently available on Linux hosts" per http://communities.vmware.com/message/2082542 = don't care
* Quick Switch II = don't care
* Thumbnail Actions = don't care
* Saved Filters = don't care

Later,