Michael Leone on 27 Dec 2012 09:37:05 -0800

Re: [PLUG] iDevices

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
> The world *is* actually going to end shortly, as evidenced by work getting
> me an iPad.
>
> I am not the least bit interested in iTunes.  I don't want to dig up Steve
> Jobs and ask permission each time I want to put a media file on my device.
> No syncing needed - just xfer files and play/view/display them.
>
> Plugging into Win7 allows me access to DCIM but I can't actually put
> anything there.  Plugging into Xubuntu 12.04 finds a USB device but that's
> it.  Xubuntu 12.10 fully identifies the iPad and that's it.  I have Googled,
> installed libimobile, fuse, gtkpod and whatever else, to no avail.
>
> Apparently one cannot simply use a File Manager to manage files.  Every
> manager I found wants you to use ITS file system.

There is no user-accessible file system. Maybe if you jailbroke it ...

> I know these things are pretty popular.  How does PLUG use them?

For media (music. vids, etc) I use iTunes. You can also use Dropbox
for things like that - you can play media, or read documents and
e-books from the dropbox.

I don't recommend it, but it does work.