JP Vossen on 9 Jan 2013 15:41:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] good linux mail clients

>> On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 02:37:36PM -0500, Michael Lazin wrote:
>> Does anyone have a recommendation of a better mail client for linux
>> than thunderbird?

I agree. I used to like it, but over the last say, 2 years or so, it has gotten more boated and clunky, and less stable, plus I see big memory leaks and massive slow-down if I leave it running too long.

I find it interesting that no one even mentions Evolution (or did I miss it), yet Zimbra comes up. Not that I disagree, just...interesting.

> On 16:02 Wed 09 Jan 2013, Walt Mankowski wrote:
>
> My everyday Linux mail client is mutt.

I used Pine for a very long time before TB. I've tried mutt and never gotten used to it (never put in the time either), but I *have* used it quite successfully as an IMAP client for doing large deletes or moves that TB choked on. (Another reason to replace TB.)

I might go for that at some point (great over SSH), since I refuse to read HTML email unless absolutely necessary. But there is no way my wife or kids would go for that. :-(

On 01/09/2013 04:54 PM, "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:

> why not run something like Dovecot locally

That's what I do with Courier (historical, I'd probably use Dovecot now). External mail comes in and out via a dumb VPS relay. Zero web access, so Rich wouldn't like it, though I *could* add something if I found something that didn't suck and was secure.

It can be a pain to administer, but I'd rather own my data and not have any more be in the cloud than I can avoid.

> the (still non-existent) bifurcated kumquat mail server

Oooo, I dunno what that is, but I think I WANT one!  Sounds..tasty.

Later,
JP