Eric Lucas on 6 Feb 2013 09:14:55 -0800

[PLUG] Solaris backup/restore

I'm preparing a proposal to set up and document backup/restore procedures for a series of Linux computers and a Sun Solaris 10 computer.  They want to use Mondo Rescue for the Linux systems and I'll work that out... it's the Solaris box that I'm not sure about.

Their backup requirement is very specific - they simply want to be able to drop in two new HDs (RAID mirror), boot from a DVD, and then restore the entire system exactly as it was.  The restore needs to be entirely from DVDs.  They suggested using dd and scripting it but I know the disks (200 GB) are not full so using dd seems like a crazy waste of space (DVDs full of nothing.)

I'm not familiar with Solaris - anybody know what they have to perform this type of operation?

Thanks
Eric