Rich Freeman on 13 Mar 2013 03:53:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Setting an environment variable for servers on Linux...

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:32 PM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org> wrote:
> Ah, now Rich mentions /etc/env.d - but I don't have that in my Linux Mint 13 system.

Nope, you wouldn't.  Every sysvinit system does this stuff
differently, and Mint doesn't use OpenRC (only a few distros do -
mostly Gentoo-derived, though there was some debate about Debian
adopting it (which I consider unlikely at this point)).

You're likely to get much further on a discussion forum dedicated to
your particular distro than a general forum for an issue like this as
a result.

Most of the older sysvinit systems have an entry in inittab that
launches a commend (often called rc or something similar) which
launches all the services.  That is often a shell script, and it would
be that command which would need to set your environment variables to
affect a service.  Sometimes this command will source configuration
files.

Rich