Rich Freeman on 1 Apr 2013 11:26:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] activesync Was: Need a Groupware/Calendar Recommendation

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:

> BTW, One of the coolest features I liked about Exchange and my iPhone was the
> ability to automatically sync my address book and calendar on the device.
>
> Is this what we mean by "activesync", which is only available on the
> commercial version?

"Activesync" is an MS term for their synchronization service.  It has
been used for all manner of things over the years, but in its current
incarnations it can be used to sync an exchange server
mail/calendar/address book with any software that supports it.

Personally I use Google for everything, and it automagically
synchronizes to Android.  I'd definitely prefer an FOSS solution but
I've yet to find one that really works well.  In general there is a
dearth of cloud-based software which is FOSS - lots of desktop
applications, which does you little good if you're on a
phone/chromebook/etc.

The main thing holding me back from zimbra/horde/etc is the lack of
keyboard shortcuts.  I often access email using a trackpad and I don't
want to have to do 2 clicks in different small locations to accomplish
the equivalent of hitting the letter 'e' in Gmail.

Rich