Rich Freeman on 13 May 2013 18:47:08 -0700

Re: [PLUG] plug Digest, Vol 102, Issue 15

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
> The Pi has a very limited USB sub-system, I believe. I've only used a single
> USB drive on mine. Could you try connecting one of the drives on a network
> machine and copying via ethernet. It won't be fast, but you're slower than
> ethernet right now.

Honestly, I've found USB drives on Linux to be less-than-reliable in
general.  They work fine for casual use, but leave one mounted for
days and sooner or later something will go wrong.  I once tried to use
a flash drive for swap and the same thing would happen, but of course
with a panic as the result.

Maybe it is the motherboard, maybe it is the cheap drives, maybe it is
the kernel, or maybe it is the protocol, but it just seems like sooner
or later with usb storage something times out and drives disappear.

Rich