Mark Mehalik on 15 Jul 2013 06:53:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Debian 7.1 on Macbook Pro

I was sort of hoping someone else would bring this up, it's been bugging me. Here's a few damning linux distro install notes:

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Apple_Macbook_Pro_Retina
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro_Retina

I'd note that all of them reference the newest hardware, and that they are all missing any warning about likely hardware damage, or any errata indicating that there could be damage, or that the cpu is in any way special.

Ultimately I was unable to find any reputable source that indicated the cpu's in mac's were anything other than the typical low power i[357]s in every other note/ultrabook, or that one could cause a cpu failure simply by installing another OS.

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but this limitation seems nonsensical to me.

-mark