Rich Freeman on 12 Aug 2013 20:12:17 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Offline Backup Solutions

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Malcolm
<mjhlists-plug-20080906@liminalflux.net> wrote:
> On 8/12/2013 11:00 PM, Fred Stluka wrote:
>>
>> On 8/12/13 10:47 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>>
>>> Rsync is just not great if you want to go back in time,
>>
>> Rich, rsync is great for incremental backups, so you can have as
>> many increments as you like, allowing you to go back in time to
>> any point where you ran rsync.
>>
>> See my tips on rsync:
>>      - http://bristle.com/Tips/Unix.htm#rsync
>

> or there's rdiff-backup which does much of it for you, though you do have to
> have the full backup online for the incrementals to work.

Since all of these solutions require having the full backup mounted to
run, I suspect it might be easier to just use sarab to do the backups.
 That is based on dar, and recovery doesn't really need anything fancy
installed to run (dar is basically like tar but with per-file indexes
(like zip), and it does support compression - maybe think of it as a
POSIX-oriented zip).

The main downside to that approach is that I'll have to run my backups
manually unless I leave the backup drive online.  So I can either
accept the risk that the filesystem will die when I've neglected the
backup for a week, or I can accept the risk that I'll fumble-finger
and wipe out my backup drive.

Maybe I'll just leave the backup drive unmounted and have the backup
script mount/unmount it.  I can always detach it if I plan on doing
any device-level manipulation.

I'll see if anybody at North tomorrow has any other ideas...

Rich