bergman on 13 Aug 2013 09:02:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Offline Backup Solutions

In the message dated: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 20:20:00 -0400,
The pithy ruminations from Rich Freeman on
<[PLUG] Offline Backup Solutions> were:
=> After attending yesterday's Bacula talk I am thinking about doing
=> offline backups to an eSATA drive.  I'm not sure if Bacula is actually
=> the right tool for the job though.

Interesting discussion...

I've actively used BackupPC since ~2005 and bacula since ~2006, and
rsync & tar & friends since 198?, however I don't think the issue here
is really about the software package, as much as it is about the process.

=>
=> I'd like to define the following classes of jobs:
=> 1. MythTV video - 1-2x/wk backup, no retention of deleted/changed
=> files (~1TB with high turnover)
=> 2. Unimportant files - daily backup, short retention of
=> deleted/changed files (~1TB with low turnover)
=> 3. Important files - hourly backup, long retention of deleted/changed
=> files (~30GB with low turnover)

It sounds like you've got a good understanding of your data, including
the relative importance and churn rate of different categories. That's
a vital starting point in deciding on any backup solution.

So, it sounds like a full backup would be ~2TB, and nightly backup
would be small. However, a differential backup could be the same order
of magniture as a full, given that the MythTV data may change completely.

That's a pretty small volume, given today's storage media. Think of cheap
redundant media as a way to gain reliablity (in case of media errors,
physical disaster) while reducing the complexity of the software part
of the process.

=>
=> Some of the important files might come from other hosts running
=> Windows (which makes something like Bacula more attractive).

BackupPC can do Windows quite easily.

=>
=> I'd like all but #1 to run automatically (optional for #1).  I'd like
=> my large offline storage to remain, well, offline (not physically
=> connected).  Automated backups would all go into online storage, and
=> would be migrated to the offline storage when it is connected.  Online
=> storage would have a capacity of ~100-200GB tops (ie it cannot store a
=> full backup of anything but the important files).

It sounds like your critical concern (particularly based on later
postings) is keeping the full backup offline as much as possible in order
to decrease the chance of media or human error corrupting that backup.

That sounds like a not insanely unreasonable concern to me, but you
should examine the chance of the risk of corrupting an 'online' backup
device AND requiring a recovery from that backup vs the complexity to
mitigate the risk.

=>
=> Any suggestions?  How are others handling offline storage?  I could
=> just manually mirror things but then I lose the security of automated
=> backups.  I could leave the offline storage online, but then that
=> makes it vulnerable to many failures that would take out the originals
=> (even if unmounted when not in use).
=>
=> I was looking at Bacula and it seems like I could sort-of do this.

	[Valid concerns about Bacula SNIPPED]

=>
=> This just seems more complicated than it needs to be.  Surely somebody
=> must be doing backups using offline disks?  Most of the logic is built
=> around having a box of tapes and rotating through those, but that is
=> incredibly expensive these days as tape just hasn't kept pace, and I'm

Define 'expensive'. A tape drive is expensive. Tape media is cheap. I've
got 100s of LTO4 tapes, holding 800GB~1.6TB depending on compression,
at ~$25 each. However, that's probably not the solution for your problem.

=> not going to rotate disks that will end up being 90% empty, or have

Why not?

Disks are 'cheap' compared to your time and effort.

=> the system be doing full backups on multiple-TB of data with any
=> frequency.
=>
=> I could just do manual rsyncs/etc, but then if I forget to do it for a
=> week I am taking a fair bit of risk, and managing retention with rsync
=> doesn't sound simple.  I could also just leave the drive online but

One possiblity is not to try to manage retention with rsync, but to rsync to
multiple devices that are physically rotated off-site.

=> unmounted.  One advantage of rsync though is that recovery is
=> brain-dead simple.  I don't mind the thought of recovering onto bare

That's a huge advantage.

Don't forget, the reason why we do backups is to be able to recover data,
not for the warm happy feeling of having copied 1s and 0s. If you can't
recover it accurately and easily, then the 'backup' effort was wasted.

Simple = Good [and this advice is coming from someone who is managing a
way-too-complex bacula installation].

=> metal from something like tar/dar/etc, but for something like Bacula
=> the bar is considerably higher.
=>
=> The important stuff is already being backed up to S3, and I don't
=> think I'm going to change that.  This is really about faster recovery
=> in the event of something other than a fire and backing up all the
=> other junk that doesn't warrant that kind of treatment.  I'm also
=> contemplating moving to btrfs and I'd really only want to do that if I
=> had a fairly full set of recent backups at all times.
=>
=> How are others handling offline backup?  I may just be
=> over-engineering things.  I could probably script up manual backups

Yes, I believe you're in danger of over engineering things.

Think about the parameters and risk cases here:

	do you have [practical] limits on the backup & restore
	duration (it'll take significant time to copy ~2TB of
	data, but perhaps a multi-hour backup is OK, and it lets
	you remove the complexity of deduplication)

	what are the risk cases you're trying to minimize?
		accidental erasure of online files
			any backup solution will handle this

		damage to the original drives/computer that
		necessiatates a bare-metal recovery
			some backup solutions are better than
			others

		logical damage to the attached (on-line) backup devices
		(ie., 'rm -rf' or 'fdisk')
			how great is this risk, really?

		damage to the attached backup devices (ie.
		power surge, pipe bursts, etc.) whether on-line
		or off-line
			keeping the drives off-line is of
			little benefit unless they are
			physically separate from the original
			data & computers

			more importantly, how great is the risk that
			you will experience damage to the backup media
			at a time when you also need to do a recovery?
				[the only mitigation is off-site storage,
				whether physically keeping your backup
				drives separate from the original data,
				or S3 as your data backup and 'apt-get'
				as your OS installation backup]

Some [semi-random] observations

	keep it simple

	drives are cheap, especially compared to engineering time

	a simple backup solution makes recovering data more likely,
	especially under stress

	in my observation "generic" external USB drives have the
	highest failure rate (regardless of manufacturer, size, drive
	model, etc.) of any computing items I've worked with over the
	last 20+ years...I wouldn't rely on them as the sole source of
	data, but they're fine for one of "N" copies

I'd suggest something like:

	purchase 3x 3TB drives

	determine a backup 'solution' with a schedule that meets your
	needs, for example a weekly 'full' and nightly incrementals

	label the drives (physically and logically) so that both
	the backup software and the human beings can easily tell
	which drive should be used

	physically rotate the drives, something like

		week 1:	put drive C off-site
			retrieve drive B from off-site storage
			drive A on-line
			full backup
			incr x 6
				(week N of the year, not evenly
				divisible by 2 or 3)

		week 2: put drive A off-site
			retrieve drive C from off-site storage
			drive B on-line
			full backup
			incr x 6
				(week N of the year, evenly
				divisible by 2)

		week 3: put drive B off-site
			retrieve drive A from off-site storage
			drive C on-line
			full backup
			incr x 6
				(week N of the year, evenly
				divisible by 3)

Yes, you're risking some kind of damage by leaving the active drive
'online', but the trade off is that the chance of successful backups is
much higher than mounting/unmounting the drive, you reduce the likelihood
of physical electrical damage by disconnecting/reconnecting the drive
nightly, you reduce the chance of human error (forgetting to connect
the drive), etc.

Note that this scheme can make use of backup software that uses an index
and is aware of backups that are stored on media that's offline, but it
doesn't require such a scheme.

I do something similar with BackupPC--I've got multiple external drives,
and keep the 'catalog' (and all BackupPC config files, etc.) on each
drive--when I plug in a drive and restart BackupPC, there's no awareness
of any other media.

I'd use a fairly simple wrapper (run via cron nightly) around the chosen
backup software, where the wrapper would just:

	check the week (ie., week "N" of the year modulo 2 or modulo 3)

	run "fdisk -l", looking for a drive (physically attached,
	powered up) with the correct label

		complain loudly (email, on-screen message, etc.) if
		the device cannot be found

	mount the drive if it is not already mounted

		complain loudly (email, on-screen message, etc.) if
		the device cannot be mounted

	run your chosen backup

	if it's the end of the week (for whatever day you decide to
	rotate media), send a reminder to move the device off-site

Mark

=>
=> Rich