Rich Freeman on 26 Sep 2013 03:54:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Phones (considering switching from POTS to VOIP, keeping my number)

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch@gmail.com> wrote:
> So far this sounds a lot like Google Voice to me, but I've heard
> a lot of complaints about the call quality and I'm concerned about
> getting my number locked in to Google's services (as far as I can tell,
> there's no way to port out of Google Voice).

Personally I haven't had any issues with Google Voice.  I pretty-much
use it exclusively now though some people still call one of my numbers
direct.

I'm not sure how you could have trouble porting a number out of Google
Voice.  I believe porting isn't supported by the carrier who has the
number - I believe it is done by the new carrier who wants to obtain
the number.  They get whatever LNP database that exists updated, and
any telco in existence that gets a call to that number sends the call
to the new carrier.  My understanding is that it isn't unlike DNS -
your current DNS provider can refuse to remove your address from their
zone all they want, but if the domain registration changes nobody will
be asking them to resolve your address anyway.

Certainly interested in comments from somebody more familiar with LNP though.

Rich