Michael Finn on 17 Nov 2013 12:15:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Comcast, Cable Cards, Antenna, and HD-Homerun Experiences?

​On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Louis Kratz <louis.kratz@gmail.com> wrote:

> As a second option; I've hooked up an antenna but can't seem to get WHYY or ABC (my primary channels) in the first floor of our south Philly row home.
> If anyone has any recommendations for a good antenna they are also appreciated!

You need an outdoor antenna to pick up channels 6 and 12. They are operating in the H-VHF range and there are broadcast power limitations in that range as compared to the UHF range. All the other local digitals are in the UHF range. I was unable to pick 6 & 12 up on any indoor antenna, even an amplified one.

For my outdoor antenna I bought an unamplified omni-directional antenna, the Winegard MS-1000 Metro-Star which covers the full spectrum currently used for digital TV and also FM radio. I didn't even put it on my roof; I hung it on the wall outside a second floor window. I have a clear line to the TV transmission towers in Roxborough but I can also pick up channel 23 in New Jersey. You might want to visit www.antennaweb.org. Perhaps you can get away with a simple omni-directional rather than a big set-up with a rotor and amplifier.