Steve Shim on 23 Nov 2013 12:23:14 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Domain Registrar recommendations - revisited

I use NameCheap and it's pretty easy to switch from GoDaddy.

+1 for namecheap!

Steve

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi

On 11/23/13 1:33 PM, Eric at Lucii.org wrote:
> I just got a renewal notice from GoDaddy (yeah, I know) for two domains.
>
> .net    $ 16.99/year
> .org    $ 17.99/year
>
> At those prices I'm thinking of a different registrar.  Well, that and:
>
>    I can call them and they'll back off on the price to keep me as a
>       customer but why don't they just give me a fair price up front?
>
>    I had to spend half and hour on their site to find and disable
>       the auto-renew settings.
>
>    They supported SOPA.
>
>    They used to (and still might) delay domain transfers for an unreasonably
>       long time.
>
>    Their web site is a minimum of useful information embedded in a
>       confusing blizzard of "trick" offers for things I don't need|want.
>
> I searched the email archives and found these (approximate) counts from 2008,
> 2010 & 2012:
>
>   Registrar               Recommendations
>  ----------------------- ----------------
>   NearlyFreeSpeech.com    2 (or more?)
>   NameCheap.com           2 (or more?)
>   Gandi.net               2
>   1and1.com               1  (I currently have 2 or 3 domains here)
>   ZoneEdit.com            1
>   Name.com                1
>   LuckyRegister.com       1
>
> Any new thoughts and/or experiences?
> By the way, the site nodaddy.com is gone - godaddy bought it out!
> I have to wonder how much *that* cost them.
>
> Eric

I use NameCheap since I ditched GoDaddy several years ago. I've been
pleased with them. An open source project I'm involved with uses
Gandi.net because they're very supportive of the Open Source
community[1] (and our project, through the Software Freedom
Conservancy). If I leave NameCheap, I'd go to Gandi based on their
principles, but NameCheap has been good to me so I have no reason to
leave them at this time.

Regards

1 - http://en.gandi.net/supports/