LeRoy on 27 Jan 2014 10:59:08 -0800

Re: [PLUG] decrypting backup of encrypted home directory

On 01/26/2014 05:03 PM, Michael Lazin wrote:
> Thanks, I was able to decypt and mount.  It was a complete backup
> so I'm reimaging now.  This time I'm using a separate home
> partition just to make reimaging easier later on down the line.
>
> On Jan 25, 2014 2:35 PM, "Guo Yixuan" <culu.gyx@gmail.com
> <mailto:culu.gyx@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Michael Lazin
> <microlaser@gmail.com <mailto:microlaser@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi, I decided I want to reimage my aging dell netboot with Debian
> stable instead of the installed ubuntu because debian is a little
> bit lighter weight and this old machine is rather slow.  I thought
> I would get some speedier performance with debian.  I backed up my
> home directory onto my desktop using scp -r, but I had encrypted my
> home directory when I installed ubuntu.  it seems when I copied the
> directoy with scp it is still encrypted:

I have been using Debian since the mid 1990's.  I'm a firm believer in
encrypting /home swap and /tmp partitions on laptops and other
portable systems.  To do so I use cryptsetup.  Personally I use LUKS
but you can use plain dmcrypt without the LUKS front end.  I realize
that this makes booting a pain to enter pass phrases to boot, but the
security is important.  Many have a password file in their home
directory which should be encrypted on top of the partition encryption
using GnuPG.

To speed up an old machine I would not install gnome or kde desktops
and just rely on a plain window manager like icewm.  Both desktops
have become rather bloated over the years.

Have a great day :-)

LeRoy

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       			           > ^ <
		       Cell Phone:  267-307-3527

Open PGP Key:     C34B77CC
gpg fingerprint:  8AD5 35EF 1FDF F1A7 E483  8CCE A50D 4E81 C34B 77CC

For info on enigmail:    http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/