Will on 1 Feb 2014 05:53:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Software/Hardware Oscilloscope Logic Analyzer

Look at procuring a bus pirate. For your purposes it will do everything you want and more.

-Will C

On Feb 1, 2014 7:26 AM, "Casey Bralla" <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
I've been working to debug and I2C interface problem with a Raspberry Pi and a
non-working temperature/humidity sensor I got from Adafruit.   I have a
separate I2C pressure sensor that works fine, but the temperature sensor is not
seen by the Pi.

I've done a whole bunch of troubleshooting (checking voltages, continuity,
poor wiring, etc).  I've even gone so far as to get a second temperature
sensor (maybe the first one was bad) and now I've ordered a second Pi (I
"needed" one anyway <grin>)

What I really want to see is what is happening on the I2C data and clock
lines.  My suspicion is that there is something funky going on, and I've read
somewhere that some of the earlier Pi's have a  timing issue on the I2C bus.

So this leads me to desire (need?) a data signal analyzer.  It's been a long
time since I owned a 1950's-vintage Oscilloscope, and I just blew my budget by
spending an extra $50 on a new Pi, but is there a hardware/software solution
out there where I can buy a $50 probe that connects to a USB port?

Suggestions?  TIA!
--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence