Michael Leone on 21 Feb 2014 09:58:51 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Signing contracts digitally?

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Matt Berlin <arkestra@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/21/2014 12:42 PM, Michael Leone wrote:
>>
>> However, what is the status of this in the US?
>>
>> I would only accept the word of a lawyer on this, not a mailing list
>> opinion. Not on something that might be legally binding, and for which
>> you might be held accountable. And even then, a lawyer who hopefully
>> had experience in this kind of law. While that's not a full guarantee,
>> a legal opinion by a trained professional would hold a whole lot more
>> weight in court.
>>

> Being legally bound is one thing.  Being bound by your peers is another.

True. But the question was about being legally bound, in a court of law.

> If you would bind someone to a PGP signed statement, then you yourself must
> likewise be bound.

And if it's not legally binding, you don't have a whole lot of
effective recourse if you bind yourself, and the other party doesn't,
or doesn't complete whatever they've bound themselves to do ..