Kyle Yankanich on 21 Feb 2014 10:01:07 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Signing contracts digitally?

The only really legally binding thing is the decision of a judge, and even that's not concrete. I'm assuming because Brent e-mailed a mailing list, he probably knew what kind of opinions he was going to get, and not throw a printout of this thread on a table if a judge or lawyer didn't accept it. That being said, Digital Signatures are accepted in the state of PA, as in where you type your name. I'd love to know if the law extends into a real dignature signature that can't be forged by looking at my e-mail address.

-Kyle

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Matt Berlin <arkestra@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/21/2014 12:42 PM, Michael Leone wrote:
>>
>> However, what is the status of this in the US?
>>
>> I would only accept the word of a lawyer on this, not a mailing list
>> opinion. Not on something that might be legally binding, and for which
>> you might be held accountable. And even then, a lawyer who hopefully
>> had experience in this kind of law. While that's not a full guarantee,
>> a legal opinion by a trained professional would hold a whole lot more
>> weight in court.
>>

> Being legally bound is one thing.  Being bound by your peers is another.

True. But the question was about being legally bound, in a court of law.

> If you would bind someone to a PGP signed statement, then you yourself must
> likewise be bound.

And if it's not legally binding, you don't have a whole lot of
effective recourse if you bind yourself, and the other party doesn't,
or doesn't complete whatever they've bound themselves to do ..