Eric H. Johnson on 28 Feb 2014 06:49:12 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Another wordpress question

Conor,

This may not be the prescribed method, but I was trying to preserve what I already had rather than uninstalling wordpress and starting over.

I created a folder under var/www/wordpress1 and expanded the tar file here. Then I copied wp-content and folders that did not exist in the new install from the old version such as 'pdfs' and 'images' to this folder. I did chown to root:www-data for everthing under /var/www/wordpress1, same as the old version.

I patched Apache to point to the new folder and symlinked to wp-config.php in /etc/wordpress/wp-config.php as was done in the old version. I also patched this file to point to the new folder under 'absolute path'. I went in through wp-admin, which told me the database needed to be updated. I ran the update which generated no errors and was then able to get to the dashboard.

 I also symlinked .htaccess to /etc/wordpress/htaccess as was done in the old version. Then save permalinks through the dashboard which reported that it was able to write to htaccess.

Checking version it says I have the latest version, which is 3.8.1. I did not try the "re-install now".

When I go to the home page I just get a blank page with no error messages. I check the apache error log and about the only thing I see is that favicon.ico is not found.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

Use the latest source: https://wordpress.org/latest.tar.gz (v3.8.1 at time of writing).
While it's a good idea in general to leverage the repositories as much as possible, web development projects typically patch faster than repo maintainers can keep up with. To make sure you're sufficiently patched, you're going to want the latest codebase.

Plus, spinning up a newer Wordpress install isn't that all that complicated, compared to what'd you need to do for many other packages distributed as a source tarball: simply extract where you want it, then populate your settings files with the db info, etc. Since you already have a working installation, it would save time to back those files up, install fresh, then copy the populated settings files back in.