Rich Freeman on 28 Feb 2014 18:04:22 -0800

Re: [PLUG] no frills computer advise

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Michael Lazin <microlaser@gmail.com> wrote:
> in hindsight I wish I had applied more thermal paste because it does
> run a little hot.  Sometimes when playing games (steam for linux) the
> fan goes kinda crazy.

More isn't always better - too much and it doesn't transfer heat as
well.  It also won't help at all with the fan going crazy.  The only
things that will quiet down the fan are:
1.  Generate less heat (different CPU, make it do less work, etc).
2.  More passive heat dissipation (bigger heat sink).
3.  Bigger fan (lower RPM).

There are also things like water cooling, but in reality all that does
is move the heat elsewhere to make #2-3 easier.

Sometimes I think the stock heat sinks aren't quite enough.  I have a
CPU that tends to thermal overload (which causes it to do NOOPs
automatically while the BIOS sounds alarms).  The alarms are annoying
so I have cpufreqd set to throttle it at a lower temperature threshold
(plus the built-in safety threshold is a bit high for my taste). Maybe
I just didn't seat the heat sink well enough, but I suspect there is
more to it than that.  In practice the throttling doesn't hit me much
so I haven't bothered to fix things.

Rich