Rich Freeman on 4 Mar 2014 10:49:01 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Using IPv6

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Lee H. Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:

> Why do you need DHCP seperate frim GW

I don't want to set up a separate linux box as the gateway (that gets
messy with getting the FIOS router to bridge, plus it is an extra
box).

I do want PXE booting and to use other DHCP features, which the FIOS
gateway is unlikely to support.  I also want DNS which it isn't going
to support.

None of this is a problem with IPv4, but I'm using NAT.  The gateway
just has a private network address, and my DHCP server points to it so
everything uses it as a default route.  I guess that would work with
IPv6, but I'd like to avoid NAT since that is one of the big features
of IPv6.

> Even without DHCP6 IP6 works using local link adresses.

True, though that would require NAT.

> Sixxs has on site training and badges for prooving your IP6 knowledge.  It
> was pretty easy to setup on FIOS.

I'm pretty sure I could get all of this set up with a tunnel (tons of
docs on this), since then my router is a linux box I can run
everything off of.  I'm trying to understand how this would work if I
couldn't count on my gateway to do anything other than forward
packets.

Rich