Eric at Lucii.org on 12 Mar 2014 06:45:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to Archive Data for 20 Years?

On 03/11/2014 08:51 PM, Art Clemons wrote:
> On 03/11/2014 04:37 PM, Casey Bralla wrote:
>> IMHO, there is __ONLY ONE__ media that is guaranteed to be machine-readable in
>> 20 years:  paper.
>

> I have some printouts of programs for long lamented RS Color Computer. Sadly even though I could likely scan them, the paper has somewhat deteriorated.  It's still legible (daisy wheel printers tended to produce legible print equivalent to at least a medium grade typewriter) but even if I did, the question would arise why would I want to run them on an emulator?  I long ago converted any data to several different formats (for various reasons I have to keep copies of my handiwork) and have had to load and then resave in a different format at least 4 times. Shades of getting a five meg harddrive and wondering how I would ever have enough to fill it up.

Speaking of a five meg harddrive: I had to laugh several years ago when I first boosted the RAM in my workstation to 4 Gig.  That was more bytes than my first five hard drives *combined*... and cheaper than any one of them.  Now I carry a $20 eight Gig usb stick in my pocket and don't even think of it as unusual.  Moore's law rules!

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas
#