Amul Shah on 25 Mar 2014 07:18:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Cord Cutting Options

> On Feb 28, 2014, at 12:54 PM, gary@duzan.org wrote:
>
> => One thing that bothers me about FiOS is being forced to rent their
> => hardware.  We have one DVR and two set-top boxes, and pay $30 a month in
> => rent.  Has anyone bought hardware for FiOS?
> =>
> => --
> => Greg Helledy
>
>   You should be able to use a CableCard device with FiOS, though I
> haven't done it myself.
>
> http://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/tv/fiostv/other+hardware/cablecards/cablecards.htm
>
>   In fact, I believe the rental boxes still have CableCard hardware built
> into them. There are still lots of features that won't work with a
> non-VZ box, though, and the the above link should explain them.
>
>                                     Gary Duzan

I use cable card with a HDHomerun prime on FiOS. There is some issue with the service but that only applies to premium channels (which I need to cancel now that my one year is up). Apparently VZW isn't playing nice with Silicon Dust's cable labs certified device. Other devices do not seem to have an issue. YMMV

You do have to rent the cable card from FiOS whereas comcast gave it for free. My experience with comcast and cable card was better.

Before you do any cable card stuff do a few internet searches about current gotchas and how to work around them.

FWIW i also have another HDHR with an antenna. That works like a champ.

HTH
Amul