Rich Freeman on 22 Jun 2014 04:11:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OpenOffice vs LibreOffice

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM,  <r-redirected@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> On 06/21/2014 09:38 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure if Openoffice distributes official source releases now -
>> it looks like Gentoo only has a binary package for it.
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/source/
>
> It's subversion but not impossible.  I don't know how well it builds but if
> someone wants to experiment, there it is.

I was referring to versioned source tarballs, but they're there.
Gentoo supports direct fetching from svn tags/branches/etc, but this
is discouraged since mirroring/etc doesn't work then.  Usually in
these cases we just repackage it unless the license forbids
redistribution (since Gentoo separates package metadata from the
content we can package things that forbid redistribution - there are
even packages for commercial software that require the user to have
the install CD).

However, it looks like the folks maintaining Openoffice on Gentoo
decided to ditch it.  The binary version is still around, presumably
because it is less of a pain to deal with.

Rich