brent timothy saner on 5 Jul 2014 19:17:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Easiest QoS/Router/Connection-trunking distro at this point?

On 07/05/2014 08:29 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:
> Howdy all, I've got a buddy who's cursed with two sub-par rural
> ISPs. He's looking to try to trunk the two connections so that he
> can run a single wifi connection but eg route Netflix over one ISP
> while his poor SSH sessions can trot along unimpeded.
>
> Used to be I'd recommend Astaro, but that apparently went poof
> years ago. So, who's got a strong rec for an easy to admin router
> distro these days that one can run on an old PC?

UnTangle may still have a FOSS version: https://www.untangle.com/
But that's a *stupid* easy to admin distro.

However, if he wants something lightweight, shorewall can do bonding
and QoS, which is probably what he wants. He has to understand
networking basics (e.g. he doesn't need to be a CCNA or anything, but
if he even knows what the OSI model *is* then he's off to a great
start). Not for noobs, but INCREDIBLY powerful (and uses vanilla
iptables as a backend, even!): http://shorewall.net/

Shorewall has *very* good documentation.

Vyatta (R.I.P.) was great and probably the leader in popularity for
this sort of thing, but was acquired and is dead now.
http://vyos.net/wiki/Main_Page is its forked reincarnation.

He can also try the following if he's looking for something a bit more
newbie-friendly. I haven't touched anything with a GUI in years when
it comes to firewall administration, so I can't vouch for whether they
can do what he wants or how well/easy. But:

http://www.smoothwall.org/
https://www.pfsense.org/ (*great* for tiny/embedded devices)
https://openwrt.org/ (*VERY* wi-fi friendly, and very flexible. bit of
a learning curve- not as much as shorewall- but worth it)
http://bsdrp.net/
http://www.clearfoundation.com/Software/overview.html
http://m0n0.ch/wall/ (slightly different but similar feel to pfSense)
http://www.zeroshell.org/ (great for SMB's and wi-fi functions)

And those are just the ones I've used/heard of over the past years.
There's more at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_and_firewall_distributions

HTH