Rich Freeman on 6 Jul 2014 03:15:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Easiest QoS/Router/Connection-trunking distro at this point?

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 10:59 PM, Soren Harward <stharward@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 8:29 PM, Doug Stewart <zamoose@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, who's got a strong rec for an easy to admin router distro these days that one can run on an old PC?
>
> If he's going to run his system it on a PC loaded with NICs, then he
> may as well just run Debian or Ubuntu or some other desktop distro.
> It won't come with a GUI that sets up his multi-WAN network with a few
> clicks, but the user communities are much better, and someone [1] will
> be able to help him with the handful of configuration settings he'll
> need to get started.  Long-term, a regular desktop distro is going to
> be easier to maintain than a more specialized router-oriented distro
> like OpenWRT, pfsense or shorewall.

Tend to agree.

I'd go one of two ways.  I'd either pick a dedicated router OS which
has been around for a long time and doesn't seem likely to go away, or
I'd pick whatever distro you're most familiar with in general and DIY.

For a dedicated router I'd probably prefer the dedicated router OS -
something like Smoothwall or OpenWRT (is OpenWRT designed to even run
on a standard PC though?).  However, if it wasn't a really big popular
router distro which is fairly easy to update, then I'd run a very
mainstream distro so that I'm not constantly fighting to keep the
thing up to date.

Rich