john boris on 25 Aug 2014 05:52:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Question on using Putty on Windows 7 and irssi

I want to thank everyone for the replies. I was using a theme called madcow. I changed the theme to more_reliable (found on the irssi themes page) and bingo. The time stamps are back. I was thinking it was the terminal settings when it actually was the settings in irssi. When Phil Pennock pointed out the irssi config file I started nosing around and saw the them line in the config. Then just put 2 and 2 together and luckily my math still works.

Thanks again to the list.

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 8:53 PM, john boris <jborissr@gmail.com> wrote:
Phil
Thanks for the pointers

On Sunday, August 24, 2014, Phil Pennock <lopsa-tech@spodhuis.org> wrote:
On 2014-08-24 at 13:08 -0400, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 1:04 PM, john boris <jborissr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been doing it in putty but instead I should have been looking in
> > irssi
>
> Yes; I would have expected this to be clear. Putty just sees text, it has
> no idea what that text means. If irssi is outputting the timestamp in the
> wrong color, it's irssi that needs to change, because only irssi knows what
> it's doing with its timestamp.

The biggest problem is the lack of consistency around colour management
and whether systems should assume white-on-black or black-on-white, how
this is conveyed to programs, and which libraries use what environment
variables to convey hints.

It's all a rather pathetic mess.  Moreso than the mess around how the
word "colour" is spelt. ;-)

I suggest experimenting to see if exporting the `COLORFGBG` variable
helps; foreground and background colours, separated by a semi-colon (so
be careful to quote that past the shell).

It has been several years since I last used PuTTY, but this fragment is
in my shell profile settings (zsh, and I've lightly changed it so it
should work in bash too):

case .${TERM}. in
        .putty.)
        export LC_CTYPE=$box_prefctype
        [[ $OSTYPE == linux-gnu ]] && stty iutf8
        export TERM="$TERM" COLORTERM="$TERM" COLORFGBG='white;black'
        # PuTTY in UTF-8 mode does not support using ISO-2022 ACS shifting,
        # aka "line-drawing" with ^Nqqq^O.  Either run PuTTY non-UTF-8 or tell
        # curses to not use ACS.  Note that PuTTY's behaviour follows some
        # recommendations about behaviour of UTF-8 terminal applications, since
        # not supporting shift-modes leads to simplicity and fewer munged
        # terminals.  Really, ncurses should not be using shifting when in
        # UTF-8 charmap locale.
        export NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS=1
        ;;
esac