Greg Helledy on 22 Oct 2014 15:07:14 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
[PLUG] Real (driverless) hardware RAID controller for PC?
- From: Greg Helledy <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: [PLUG] Real (driverless) hardware RAID controller for PC?
- Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:07:06 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=simple; d=gra-inc.com; s=MDaemon; t=1414015610; x=1414620410; q=dns/txt; h=Received: Message-ID:Date:From:Organization:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To: Subject:References:In-Reply-To:Content-Type: Content-Transfer-Encoding; bh=W6MDbAaJQnxr47xbxtE7DC1c2KSSUsYMXz qhMftyCO0=; b=OfvnuetDfxki8gO5qPSDz2Ma90cdA1aGATeC9JtluMSOfINN39 iSO40wiHLRuDWzHl4jHqFHVUbsV3bMmIR1Hxo5TQotIPBA3A6/tg/1UjnzbfLhCu iHy/U2Abco/DIB4/6v08b9cgJajXGhZDOlYVdNjbQC7wQFXvsq7DWLv9U=
- Organization: GRA, Incorporated
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: "plug" <email@example.com>
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/31.2.0
We are now using a repurposed linux-based desktop PC as our small
business internet gateway. *After* getting things installed and
tweaked, they tell me they'd like RAID added, for reliability. The card
already on hand is a HighPoint RocketRaid model, which it turns out is
one of those "fake raid" devices that requires a driver. This seems
like a hassle, now and in the future if the kernel is updated.
Looking online, I'm having a hard time determining which RAID
controllers are "real" (driverless) vs. fake. Many years ago, we had a
couple of 3Ware cards, but 3Ware seems to have faded away. If anyone
has a recommendation for a manufacturer (or specific models) of "real"
RAID controllers, please pass it my way. 2 X SATA for RAID 1 is all I need.
P: +1 215-884-7500
F: +1 215-884-1385
-- NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged
information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
viewing, copying of distribution of, or reliance on this message by
unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer.
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug