Rich Mingin (PLUG) on 1 Nov 2014 13:06:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ripping a scratched DVD

Simple first step, tells you if any of these other steps will do anything other than waste your time:

Hold the CD/DVD/Bluray up between you and a light source. Look for any totally clear spots where the light shines straight through. If you see any of these, and they are larger than a pinhole or so, the odds of successful repair/recovery get to zero pretty fast. The part blocking most light is a foil layer, just under the printed label layer, where the data lives. The bottom is a relatively thick layer of polycarbonate and can withstand a lot of damage/repair. The top foil layer is super-thin and doesn't handle damage well.

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Martin Dellwo <martin.dellwo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2014, at 2:41 PM, Amul Shah <amul@amulz.com> wrote:
>
> I should have said that they have an apple tv. Not having the disc seems ok to them.

[...]
>> rumor has it that there are these websites where you can download such
>> things...
>
> I'll pass on those. :) If i won't pay for it, it isn't worth having.

I was going to suggest such a "website"... iTunes! You've probably already found that.

-Marty

Martin J. Dellwo
martin.dellwo@gmail.com