Rich Freeman on 1 Nov 2014 19:14:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ripping a scratched DVD

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 2:21 PM, brent timothy saner
<brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's worth a mention that, last I read, if you own a legally acquired
> physical copy of the medium, it is totally legal to own a digital copy-
> no matter how you may have acquired said copy- as long as it is an exact
> copy of the copy you own.

Getting a bit OT, but some would argue that it is totally legal to
receive a copy of anything regardless of how that copy was made or
whether you had purchased a copy of that thing previously.  MAKING
copies, on the other hand, is clearly illegal.

Of course, in the USA anybody can sue anybody for anything, and the
law is whatever the SCOTUS says it is.  Whether you're in the right or
the wrong getting to that point is incredibly expensive.

--
Rich