Paul L. Snyder on 11 Nov 2014 08:00:22 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Restructuring home network and building a storage server

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014, Keith C. Perry wrote:

> Personally, I'm a big fan of using Linux to build LVMs of JBODs. Its the
> most flexible and extensible solution. You can even add md to the mix and
> do raid configs but the point is that you'll get growth out of such a
> configuration.

I really appreciate all the discussion...some excellent info in this
thread.  At the moment, I'm definitely leaning toward a full-sized case, if
I can find one. And, due to the CPU requirements of the VPN, I'll probably
be putting the VPN endpoint on that box as well.

The container suggestion is a good one. I've been using docker extensively
for my dev work, so it's quite a familiar pattern.

Regarding Rich's comment on the potential problems with traffic coming in
to the network not-over-the-VPN going back out over-the-VPN...I ran into
this with my current config. I put a nastly little hack in place to deal
with this, rather than sorting out proper routing rules: a decomissioned
OpenWRT box in the DMZ serves as the destination when, e.g., SSHing in. The
external firewall forwards a port to that box, and that box forwards to the
actual destination. Then, since the returning packets' next hop is a
local network, the return packets do not get sent through the VPN.  I
wouldn't recommend this as a real solution, but, once again, it got things
working fast.

I'm not keen on locking myself into a RAID solution, due to the
requirements of equal-sized drives, which makes it a much less desirable
long-term solution.

Any thoughts on Greyhole?

  https://www.greyhole.net/

Paul