Rich Freeman on 11 Nov 2014 10:05:37 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Restructuring home network and building a storage server

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> I don't see how you can do a high density build (over 4 drives) for under
> $500.

Well, definitely not under $500, but I found a
somewhat-moderately-priced option for sale:
http://www.45drives.com/products/order/enclosure.php

This is $872 for the case, plus $60 for each set of 5 drives (that
gives you one SATA port for 5 drives).  Then you get to add a
motherboard, power-supply, and so on.  The case is expandable to 45
drives though you'll need 9 SATA ports to do it (likely using a
motherboard plus a PCI card or two).  Obviously if you want 45 drives
you'll need a beefy power supply or two.  I don't know what long-term
availability of the backplanes will be like - so if you don't get all
9 up-front you could find it hard to add them later.

With this kind of setup all the drives are easily hot-swapped since
they go into a backplane.  The port multiplier shouldn't be a problem
with spinning disks, but you wouldn't want to mount SSDs this way.

The price is obviously high, but you're talking about something
designed to scale to 45 drives.  Backblaze runs zfs on theirs and I'm
not sure exactly how they configure them (I assume raidz ir raidz2 in
groups of maybe 5-6 disks - at this scale there are all kinds of
optimizations you can do).  You might want an OS drive on there as
well, or you could just boot the thing off of a USB drive assuming you
don't want root on your array.

--
Rich