Bob Schwier on 11 Nov 2014 13:28:48 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Minimal Ubuntu desktop build

I seem to have screwed it up.  I tried to install 12.04 from a disk created from on line.  This is
grub directed and grub did not get updated in the attempted installation.  But, when I tried to
install, I got a statement that some initialization number was needed and I tried again and got to the
same failure mode.  When I went into the Linux partition, I got a bash type screen and I need
some advice on how to use it.
I tried to do it through updating but the computer did not accept it.  The windows partition still
works which is what you are getting this missive on.
bs

On Mon, 10/20/14, Eric H. Johnson <ejohnson@camalytics.com> wrote:

 Subject: [PLUG] Minimal Ubuntu desktop build
 To: "'Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List'" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
 Date: Monday, October 20, 2014, 10:28 PM

My keyboard is screwing up again so I apologize for any errors in e-mail etiquette.
I tried to upgrade Ubantu .
 Hi all,

 JP asked at dinner about doing a minimal install of Ubuntu
 desktop. This is
 what I did for a minimal system. I wrote up “brain dead”
 instructions, so
 it has much more detail than most of the people here would
 need. This was
 done with Ubuntu 12.04. Some things have changed since then,
 so YMMV.

 -----→
 Download Ubuntu 12.04 Server

 Install minimal Ubuntu 12.04 server

 Select language
 Select F4 and select "Install a minimal system"
 Select language
 Select Country
 Detect Keyboard (usually no)
 Select country of origin
 Select keyboard layout
 Enter host name (privacyws)
 Select time zone
 Full name for the new user: Privacy Workshop User
 Username for your account: privacy
 Password: Pick a password: privacy
 Re-enter password: privacy
 if prompted for "Use weak password" select yes or enter a
 stronger password
 Encrypt your home directory: No
 Select partitioning method: Guided - use entire disk
 Select disk partition:
 Write changes to disk: Yes
 Enter proxy information if necessary (usually not necessary
 on a VM).
 Select "No automatic updates"
 Choose software to install: Do not select any software, just
 continue
 Install the GRUB boot loader...: Yes
 Installation complete: Select continue
 When rebooting, power off machine

 Install basic packages

 Login with user name and password specified at install
 Install packages as follows:

 sudo apt-get update
 sudo apt-get install -y xorg
 sudo apt-get install -y gnome-core --no-install-recommends
 sudo apt-get install -y gdm ubuntu-artwork compiz-gnome
 firefox
 sudo reboot

 Resume installation from GUI environment

 Select the user created at installation (Privacy)
 From the status bar select "Ubuntu Classic (No Effects)"
 Note: this is temporary until all software catches up.
 Enter password
 Select Applications | Accessories | Terminal

 Change the root password:
 sudo su
 passwd <Set the password for root to be the same as the
 local user>
 exit

 Install some basic system utilities
 sudo apt-get install -y synaptic alacarte firestarter
 xdg-utils
 sudo apt-get install -y update-manager

 Install application software as desired.
 ------

 Regards,
 Eric