john boris on 15 Dec 2014 09:19:18 -0800

[PLUG] Looking for help with Ubuntu 14.04 on an HP 380 Gen8 server

I have a an HP 380 Gen 8 Server I am using to hos my VMs using VirtualBox Instances. I was running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on it but was having some issues. I upgraded the OS to 14.04.1 and now I no longer have a Desktop. I need the GUI desktop to run the Vbox Manager. I need to have the consoles available just for debugging purposes. The Guest OS are Legacy SCO boxes.  I prototyped this on an older HP server under 10.x LTS and also protyped things on the 14.04 on this new server. It seems Unity is broken with my current configuration. I am wondering if anyone else out there has run into this or has some suggestions. This entire setup is to hold my Legacy systems as we move to a new SIS here at $WORK. It will also be a production setup for at least a year. HP says 14.04 will work (which it does ) but they say 14.04.1 they don't fully support yet.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

--
John J. Boris, Sr.