K.S. Bhaskar on 20 May 2015 12:20:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ext4

There are potentially several bugs mixed in various discussion threads threads around the net.  There is a recent fix for a confirmed data corruption issue we found in the course of GT.M development, and worked with developers at one of our Linux distributions to narrow down.  A description of that bug, and its fix, can be found by searching for d2dc317d564a46dfc683978a2e5a4f91434e9711 at https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ChangeLog-4.0.3

If your application is not using fallocate or one of its friends, you don't need to fear this bug (which evidently goes at least as far back as the 3.10 kernels).  This bug is independent of RAID configuration - it showed up with a database on a PCIe SSD drive - but at least on our workload needed fast IO to reproduce reliably.  Also, this bug does not affect xfs.

Regards
-- Bhaskar