Eric H. Johnson on 7 Jun 2015 08:53:58 -0700

[PLUG] Virtualize a bare metal machine

Hi all,

I have an old computer and install that is to be retired but would like to preserve the machine as it is as a VM, just in case it ever has to be ressurected. The OS is Windows XP and the primary application talks to a serial port, which I believe at least VirtualBox does virtualize properly. The hard drive is only 160GB and no more than 30-40 GB is actually in use.

I know of a number of tools where I can do this for Linux, but is there a tool that will let me backup / virtualize a bare metal install of WinXP? There is windows backup, which I guess I could backup and then restore to a freshly created VM. (I think that exists back in XP).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Eric