Eric Lucas on 20 Jun 2015 12:24:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux Laptop

Just to add my 2 cents - I'm a Dell user for the most part.
I got my current one used and very cheap (free) from my brother-in-law because he felt this one was
starting to have "problems".   Well of course... the damn thing ran Windows 7.  A "penguin-oriented" OS
infusion fixed that right up!  It still boots into Win7 (if I want to relive the terror.)

SPECS: Dell Studio 17/1745.
That's a behemoth with 17" screen, two drive bays, and the extended battery.
(It is heavy - but almost any 5 or 6 year-old 17" laptop will be.)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P6700 @2.53GHz x2
Video: AMD/ATI RV730/M96 [Mobility Radeon HD 4650/5165]

I upgraded it:
  From 4 to 8 GB RAM,
  From 500G to 1000G HD  (mounted /home)
  Added 256GB SSD in the second drive bay  (mounted /)

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit installed and runs great.
Sound card is a little weird sometimes but once I figured out the configuration it's been solid.

I'm very happy with it.  It's a fast, solid work platform that I use probably 11 or 12 hours a day.
I moved the VM disk drives from "~/VirtualBox VMs"  (disk) to  "/opt/VirtualBox VMs" (SSD)  with a
corresponding jump in VM speed which was sweet.

What do I want for FREE + about $330 in upgrades?
Well, the ability to hold 16 GB RAM and maybe come with 4 cores would be nice.
Did I mention it's *heavy* ?

Bitch bitch bitch :-D

So yeah, I've had pretty good luck with Dells over the last 5 or 6 years actually.

Good luck!

Eric