Keith C. Perry on 23 Jun 2015 10:16:30 -0700

Re: [PLUG] X2Go Usage

Mike,

I'm explaining things wrong or I might be misunderstanding.  When I say session, I mean that in the context of a terminal server, i.e. X2GO presents the user a "greeter" so that the connection is generic.  Any user with an account can log in.

x11vnc has a way to do this via VNC and via HTTP/HTTPS with some java applets.  Years ago that was this ability was important so that I could do remote training, kiosks, etc.  Its not as important today since VNC clients are readily available and people are less afraid to move to Linux.  However if X2GO had a modern way to providing connectivity via HTTPS (i.e. NOT with JAVA) then that would be very interesting.  There are a couple of Linux products out there that are X11 apps and access this way makes it possible to deploy solutions as easily as any other web app.

Generally, I could do small office solutions like this...  all the system infrastructure lives in "the cloud", not only for web apps but also for file sharing (Samba), office productivity (LibreOffice), database (i.e. pgadmin), etc.  The workers could use lower end hardware and maybe eventually ChromeOS or androidOS clients (I did not see those on the X2GO website).

Just something off the top of my head.  Not sure I explained it better.  From the X2GO website it sounds like the X2GO session broker might provide this but I'm not sure based what I read.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167