Michael Zaleski on 24 Jun 2015 13:54:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Home wifi access point & router recommendation

You could also check out libreCMC.  The device list is much shorter than tomato, open/dd-wrt, but the interface is clean and easy to use; I've been playing with the device from think penguin.  It has less power/range than some of the other devices I have, but it's been working really well.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Keith C. Perry <kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:
That was me.  I've been a fan of the DD-WRT Buffalo models but they're gone over to the darkside with all this consumer friendly crap.  You need antennae to have the best experience and although in modern homes the signal will general have no problem being hear by the WAPs, relatively speaking you'll have a much better experience (stability,link quality, overall throughput) when you have external antennae.  There's just no getting around the raw physics despite all this obsession with MIMO gear.

So that said, the next thing I will probably get once my old WZR-HP-AG300H die is the ASUS RT-N66U model.  The way I like to set these up is to use the 5Ghz band between floors and the 2.4Ghz  on client connections (though you can connect to the 5Ghz, you end up slowing down the link between floors).

I'm not worried about the .ac stuff just yet though I would probably go with the ASUS RT-AC66U or RT-AC68U.  I don't plan on getting .ac gear until it's closer to $100.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.

From: "Bill East" <wm.east@gmail.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 3:53:48 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Home wifi access point & router recommendation

We were discussing this at PLUG W since I just bought a Buffalo N300. Compared to the old Linksys it replaced its an improvement so far. The signal strength shows higher on the smart DVD players I use and I've no complaints about performance.
Someone pointed out that the unit has no external antennae. In a bigger house than mine that might be a problem.