JP Vossen on 25 Jun 2015 10:50:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Home wifi access point & router recommendation

On 06/25/2015 11:08 AM, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> What's peculiar is the failure - refuses to connect with the WAN (cable
> modem) and get an IP address.  The light on the cable modem flashes when
> I connect the cable to the router, so evidently there is physical
> connectivity, and the cable is good because it is working now with my
> old backup router. So, it must be a hardware failure on the NIC of the
> Buffalo N300 - most peculiar…

I lost a bunch of NICs to similar symptoms in a near lightning strike a
few years ago.  My wild guess was induction on my Cat5 cable plant.  One
unit had a multi-port NIC and I was able to just swap ports, so that one
was interesting.  Others were more of a pain.

Come to think of it, I lost the WAN port on a WRT54GL some months ago
for no reason I'm aware of, with exactly that symptom.  I just bridged
the whole Ethernet bus and used a different port; the way I have it set
up "WAN" doesn't matter.

Later,
JP