Guo Yixuan on 10 Jul 2015 15:27:09 -0700

Re: [PLUG] swappiness and ssd

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 6:16 PM, Keith C. Perry <kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> I know how to get usage but I didn't realize "swappiness" was a thing you could look up in proc.  That's pretty cool...
>
> Even though, I leave swap off  :D
>
> BTW, my swappiness still says 60- that's interesting.  Maybe that's actually control point too?  Can you do...
>
> echo 80 > cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
>
> ?

Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt is linux source tree explains swappiness:

715 ==============================================================
716
717 swappiness
718
719 This control is used to define how aggressive the kernel will swap
720 memory pages.  Higher values will increase agressiveness, lower values
721 decrease the amount of swap.  A value of 0 instructs the kernel not to
722 initiate swap until the amount of free and file-backed pages is less
723 than the high water mark in a zone.
724
725 The default value is 60.
726

It's easy to find docs on other parameters just by grepping.

Yixuan