Rich Freeman on 13 Jul 2015 09:26:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] swappiness and ssd

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Rich Mingin (PLUG) <plug@frags.us> wrote:
> Having been ringside for some really intensive and real world
> testing-to-destruction on SSD over the last year or two, I feel I can very
> confidently say that concerns about write longevity on current SSDs are
> overstated by about two orders of magnitude. [1] First failures didn't
> happen until the hundreds of TB were written, and most drives survived in
> various fashions to near 1PB or more.

That is a fair point.  I just checked and my root drive ssd is only up
to 1TB written, and a wear leveling count of 16, whatever that means,
after 90 days of operation.  That translates to about 4 TB per year
which means it will probably last a lot longer than any of the
spinning drives in my linux box.  But, I do try to minimize writes to
it all the same.

--
Rich