Casey Bralla on 26 Jul 2015 11:40:43 -0700

[PLUG] Internet Lights and X10 Replacements

I've been a big X10 user for years, but the reliability is poor and the
interface is pretty long in the tooth.   My USB X10 controller uses x10dev,
which won't even work on a recent kernel (I'm running my controller program in
an Debian Etch VM)

Some of the new "internet light bulbs" look pretty cool, and are starting to
come down to reasonable prices.   However, most seem like they are strictly
proprietary control protocols, and require cloud-enabled apps to use them, so
I'm reluctant to buy one.

Anybody ave a suggestion for a good commercially available remotely-
controllable light bulb or switch?   They don't have to be completely open-
sourced, but that would be a plus.

TIA
--

Casey Bralla