Rich Mingin (PLUG) on 12 Aug 2015 19:11:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] PLUG North 2015-08-11

In that price range, there's nothing that comes close to the GTX 750 Ti. Lots of variety in and around that price point, really great performance at up to 1080p, latest architecture and wildly power efficient, it's clearly the king.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025

... But all is not yet lost for AMD and Linux. They've just recently deployed a great deal of lip service about completely reworking their driver paradigm, following a multiple-years-old plan where they will devote the majority of their paid developer time to working on the FOSS xf86-video-ati driver and friends, with some hooks for a userspace binary-only blob that enables all the magical Secret Sauce that makes video DRM and high performance 3D tricks go.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_bordeaux_strategy&num=1

However, with that little bit of sunshine out of the way, I'll point out that I founded #ati on freenode in a fit of optimism in the early 2000s, and they were talking about this exact plan back then as well, as well as at least 2 or 3 occasions I could name since then, while I and others have largely given up on actually SEEING the changes in question.....

But I'm sure they'll deliver this time!

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:45 AM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> Thanks to Paden for an interesting talk to Linux Gaming.  There's a lot
> more interesting history there than I was aware of, certainly, and the
> current state is improving as well.  Thanks as well to Rachel and
> Rich(2) for some Linux game play videos.  See the related "Steam
> handles" thread if you game on Steam.

Indeed, thanks for the great presentation.

However, it does make me sad to hear the state of AMD graphics on
Linux.  I tend to not spend a lot on such things and AMD seems to
reign supreme on moderately-priced gear (both GPUs and CPUs, imho).
Are there any ~$120 GPUs where it makes sense to buy from NVidia
instead of AMD, other than for Linux proprietary driver support?

--
Rich