Rich Freeman on 12 Aug 2015 19:31:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] PLUG North 2015-08-11

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:11 PM, Rich Mingin (PLUG) <plug@frags.us> wrote:

> ... But all is not yet lost for AMD and Linux. They've just recently
> deployed a great deal of lip service about completely reworking their driver
> paradigm, following a multiple-years-old plan where they will devote the
> majority of their paid developer time to working on the FOSS xf86-video-ati
> driver and friends, with some hooks for a userspace binary-only blob that
> enables all the magical Secret Sauce that makes video DRM and high
> performance 3D tricks go.

I forget the details, but I think I read somewhere that there has been
a general movement away from opengl/directx for future GPUs, and I
believe this was considered likely to improve driver support on linux
as well when it happens.  I think that both AMD and Nvidia were going
in this direction, but AMD was a bit more committed to it (probably
because they're the underdog currently, and also because of
alternative architectures like their APUs).

Somebody else may know more of the details offhand...

--
Rich