Douglas Muth on 3 Sep 2015 16:08:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Question about configuring Apache Server

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 6:16 PM, <jvoris@axs2000.net> wrote:
I have a question about Apache Configurations
that I hope someone here can help me with.

We are using a utility to move REST data out of an Apache WebServer.
Our REST data from the application normally moves to the external devices
fine.  But when it gets to a large data file that has to be moved ( 36K
in the file ) we then Base64-encode it, store the file in a folder, then
use an OpenTheFile-feature in the utility.

A couple of things...

- REST isn't a data format, it's a software architecture design: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_state_transfer

- Why are you Base64 encoding the data?  Use Content-Type: binary/octet-stream

The problem is that after we place the file's data into the data-stream,
we are seeing the constant    CONTENT-TYPE: TEXT/XML    being added at
the end of the output Buffer.

That's a header, which should be in the header from the response.  If it's being appended to the body, there is something very very wrong in the software that is serving up that data. (e.g., whatever script Apache is calling)

I wonder if this is being caused by the file being stored outside of the
folders for the Apache Instance  ( it is not in \www\timestats\htdocs
)

Probably not.  Either Apache can read the file or it can't.

Is there a configuration I need to add to stop this constant from being
inserted in the data stream ?

Not that I'm aware of.

I'd take a closer look at whatever software is serving up the data (something written in PHP?  Perl?  Python?)

If you think your client software may be suspect, you can also use wget or cURL on a Mac or Linux box to troubleshoot.

-- Doug

--
Douglas T. Muth * Philadelphia, PA, USA
http://www.dmuth.org/