Michael Leone on 14 Sep 2015 05:12:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Convert ext4 Filenames to FAT-compatible Names

Why not convert the flash drive to a modern filesystem, like NTFS? Or even FAT-32, that would at least support long filenames. NTFS write support should be stable enough these days to use without worry.

First thing I always do is convert the default FAT-32 filesystem on most commercial flash drives to NTFS.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 5:43 AM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
> I don't care so much about perfect preservation of the file names. Simply
> dropping the offending characters and shortening the file names in some
> arbitrary manner would work.
>
> Anybody know of a good filename conversion script?

app-misc/detox
http://detox.sourceforge.net/

I use it occasionally even on ext4 when you download one of those
files with creative file-naming.  It does have configurable filter
lists, so you can tune its aggressiveness.  Looks like my list of
installed filters that came with it are:
available sequences:
        default (*)
        iso8859_1
        utf_8
        uncgi
        lower
        iso8859_1-only
        utf_8-only
        uncgi-only
        lower-only

For the most part the default is probably fine.  I don't know if it
does anything about length, but it will git rid of spaces and most
punctuation, non-ascii, etc.

--
Rich